John Ling, M.D. is a board-certified fellowship-trained glaucoma specialist and comprehensive ophthalmologist. Dr. Ling earned his Bachelors of Engineering in Biomedical Engineering at the prestigious Vanderbilt University in Nashville, TN before going on to earn a masters from Boston University. After obtaining his medical degree from Indiana University, Dr. Ling went on to do his internship in internal medicine at UC Irvine and then his comprehensive ophthalmology training at the University of Texas Medical Branch. During residency Dr.Ling trained at the world renowned Houston Methodist Hospital and M.D. Anderson Cancer Center focusing on neuro-ophthalmology and ocular oncology. After residency Dr. Ling returned to UC Irvine to complete his glaucoma fellowship at the highly regarded Gavin Herbert Eye Institute under the mentorship of Drs. Sameh Mosaed M.D. , Anand Bhatt M.D., and Ken Lin M.D.. At SoCal eye Dr. Ling performs cataract surgery and a wide range of minimally invasive glaucoma procedures (MIGS) including Xen Gel Stent, iStent, Kahook Dual Blade, Trabectome, and iTrack as well as trabeculectomy and glaucoma drainage devices.
Dr. Ling has been active in medical research since his undergraduate years at Vanderbilt where he helped publish multiple manuscripts in cardiology, since that time he has continued to have been published in many well esteemed ophthalmology journals and presented his work at numerous national meetings. Dr. Ling is working on bringing more clinical trials to Socal Eye in both glaucoma and comprehensive ophthalmology. In his time off he enjoys photography, skiing, surfing, and spending time with his girlfriend and dog.
Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
Bachelor of Engineering, Biomedical Engineering
Boston University Medical School, Boston, MA
Master of Arts, Medical Sciences
Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN
Doctor of Medicine
University of California Irvine, Orange, CA
Internal Medicine Internship
Houston Methodist/MD Anderson/UT Medical Branch, Galveston, TX
University of California Irvine Health, Gavin Herbert Eye Institute
HONORS AND AWARDS
- UTMB Silver Scalpel Award “Top senior resident surgical skills” – 2017-2018
- UTMB Ophthalmology Resident Teaching Award – 2017-2018
- UTMB Outstanding Resident Award Nominee – 2016-2017
- UTMB Ophthalmology Academic Achievement Award – 2015-2016
- Ruth Hamilton Scholarship – 2012-2013
- Dr. and Mrs. Fred E. Gifford Scholarship – 2011-2012
- The Donald and Mary Jo Stanley Scholarship – 2011 – 2012
- Indiana State Medical Association Fellowship – 2010-2011
PROFESSIONAL LICENSES AND BOARD CERTIFICATION
- Texas Medical Board Physician in Training Permit 2015-2018
- California Medical License# A155679 2018-Present
MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY CERTIFICATION
- Catalyst Femtosecond Laser Certification 2017-Present
MEMBERSHIP IN SOCIETIES
- AGS, 2018 -present
- ASCRS, 2017-present
- Texas Ophthalmologic Society, 2017-present
- AAO, 2015 – present
- ARVO, 2014-present
- St. Vincent’s House Ophthalmology Clinic, Galveston, TX – 2015-2018
- UTMB Ophthalmology Annual Program Evaluation Committee Member – 2017-2018
- UTMB Ophthalmology Surgical Video Review Creator – 2016-2018
- UTMB Ophthalmology Medical Student Wet-lab Director – 2017-2018
HOBBIES, INTERESTS, AND ACTIVITIES
Skiing, Sailing, Cycling, Surfing, Photography
- Ling, J., Chevez-Barrios,P and Wykoff,C,. Subconjunctival Silicone Oil Cysts.
Ophthalmology Retina , Volume 1 , Issue 6 , 560
- Birdsong, O., J. Ling, and J. El-Annan, Solar Retinopathy. Ophthalmology, 2016. 123(3): p. 570.
- Lee, E., A. Harris, B. Siesky, T. Schaab, N. McIntyre, L.A. Tobe, and J. Ling, The influence of retinal blood flow on open-angle glaucoma in patients with and without diabetes. European journal of ophthalmology, 2013. 24(4): p. 542-549.
- Ling, JF, M.V. Graham, and N.C. Cady, Effect of topographically patterned poly (dimethylsiloxane) surfaces on pseudomonas aeruginosa adhesion and biofilm formation. Nano Life, 2012. 2(04): p. 1242004.
- Brewster, J.A., E.M. Garland, I. Biaggioni, B.K. Black, J.F. Ling, C.A. Shibao, D. Robertson, and S.R. Raj, Diurnal variability in orthostatic tachycardia: implications for the postural tachycardia syndrome. Clinical science, 2012. 122(1): p. 25-31.
- Brenner, S.A. and J.F. Ling, Nanotechnology applications in orthopedic surgery. Journal of Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine, 2012. 3(2): p. 024501.
- Bagai, K., Y. Song, J.F. Ling, B. Malow, B.K. Black, I. Biaggioni, D. Robertson, and S.R. Raj, Sleep disturbances and diminished quality of life in postural tachycardia syndrome. Journal of clinical sleep medicine: JCSM: official publication of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, 2011. 7(2): p. 204.
- Raj, S.R., J.F. Ling, B.K. Black, I. Biaggioni, and D. Robertson, Postural tachycardia syndrome: Diagnostic sensitivity altered by diurnal variability. Heart Rhythm, 2005. 2(5): p. S146-S147.
- J. Ling and J. El-Annan, Effect of Tacrolimus (FK506) on Prevalence of Age-related Macular Degeneration, Sun and Science, 2017: Galveston, TX.
- John Ling MD and Jaafar El-Annan MD, Use of Autologous Platelet Plug to Enhance Structural Integrity in Macular Hole Associated Retinal Detachment (MHRD) Repair, in American Society of Retinal Specialist2016: San Francisco, CA.
- Wentz, S., A. Harris, B.A. Siesky, G. Eckert, L. Racette, J. Park, L.A. Tobe, J. Ling, and A. Amireskandari, Longitudinal changes in retrobulbar blood flow are strongly correlated to changes in optic nerve head morphology in patients of African descent. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, 2014. 55(13): p. 2928-2928.
- Schaab, T., A. Harris, A. Amireskandari, G. Eckert, B. Wirostko, J. Ling, P. Kanakamedala, and B.A. Siesky, Retrobulbar blood flow in glaucoma patients with and without diabetes. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, 2014. 55(13): p. 2934-2934.
- Ling, J., A. Harris, B.A. Siesky, G. Eckert, B. Wirostko, P. Kanakamedala, T. Schaab, and A. Amireskandari, Changes in retinal capillary blood flow correlate with changes in optic nerve head morphology in glaucoma patients with diabetes. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, 2014. 55(13): p. 2941-2941.
- Kanakamedala, P., A. Harris, B.A. Siesky, G. Eckert, L. Racette, M.A. Muchnik, T. Schaab, J. Ling, and A. Amireskandari, Longitudinal changes in retinal capillary blood flow correlate with changes in macular thickness in glaucoma patients of African descent. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, 2014. 55(13): p. 2929-2929.
- Ling, J., J.C. Sea, and C.P. Sundaram, Robotic Flap Pyeloplasty For An Extended Length Ureteral Stricture Non-Amenable To Dismembered Pyeloplasty. The Journal of Urology, 2013. 189(4): p. e374.